Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Old February 2nd   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

New Saturn Sky on Display

I hung out with the guys there at Saturn of Huntsville. They had some free food, so I had to stop in.

I got some really great shots of the new Saturn Sky. They even moved it outside just so I could take some. It's a pretty cool little roadster with a pretty attractive price point. I've heard there's even a ls1 engine mount kit that bolts in.

They're going to have it there at the dealership until Thursday 4pm. After that, the next view is when they go into production and hit dealerships. There's only 5 on tour around the US, and each one was hand built just for this tour.

I'll try to have a glimpse of it on here in the next 12 hours.
Old February 2nd   #2
GS70350
GS70350
has no status.

Cool man i saw the trailor outside with the picture on the side, looked pretty sharp. Based on the same platform as the solstice?
GS70350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd   #3
jegster
jegster
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to jegster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
I've heard there's even a ls1 engine mount kit that bolts in.
Yeah Mallett cars are doing the V8 conversions. They have already done a Solstice with the LS2 in it.

Here's more info and some pics. http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm
jegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd   #4
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

1/4 mile in 12.8 ??? Doesn't seem very impressive. I was hoping for much more.
ITSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS70350
Cool man i saw the trailor outside with the picture on the side, looked pretty sharp. Based on the same platform as the solstice?
Yep, same platform, but looks a lot different. I think the engine selections are a bit different as well.
Old February 3rd   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSFAST
1/4 mile in 12.8 ??? Doesn't seem very impressive. I was hoping for much more.
I would think it would've done better too. Especially with that power to weight ratio.
Old February 3rd   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Here's some pictures I got of it the other day: http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/1174883. They even took it out of the showroom for me for a bit for some better shots. This also marks the debut of the new and almost completely finished new picture system.
Old February 3rd   #8
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Love the car....love the system to. well done samir
Old February 3rd   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack75
Love the car....love the system to. well done samir
Stands out pretty nice, eh? And the car isn't bad either.
Old February 4th   #10
baggedclips
baggedclips
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegster
Yeah Mallett cars are doing the V8 conversions. They have already done a Solstice with the LS2 in it.

Here's more info and some pics. http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm
need like a dart block or james motor then it wil run 10's no problem
baggedclips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th   #11
GS70350
GS70350
has no status.

Id rather see a much smaller displacement motor with some boost. 400 hp would be easy to attain and the weight advantage would make the car much more fun to drive. I dont care too much for how nose heavy most cars become after people swap in big v8s for power. The less you mess with the weight balance the less $$ you have to spend to make it a reasonable car to drive again.

How about that new 3.4L v6 they are introducing as their world class motor to replace the 3800 and others? If they engineer it right it should be able to support a fair amount of power, i seem to remember a concept vehicle being powered by a twin turbocharged version of the powerplant, with output above 350hp. DOHC and all. That should save some weight over the LS series v8 swap.
Old February 4th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

But with some small bolt on modifications, the ls series motors can make much more than 400hp without increasing weight. Just a cam, ls6 heads, long tube heads, and a 150 shot allows my vette to have 500whp. That type of power can make up for the weight difference. And that power to weight ratio would be hard to achieve almost any other way.
Old February 4th   #13
GS70350
GS70350
has no status.

Yes, I know about the power potential of the LS series motors but my comments were more directed at the overall handling balance of the vehicle. A small motor would easily match the hp of the mallet car and still be a nimble responsive car to drive. Small cars like that might go fast with larger motors, but they lose a lot of agility when the weight distribution is messed with and it requires yet another aspect of the car to be altered in order to put things back into perspective again.

Think about how your Porsche handles, its well balanced and has very close to 50/50 weight distribution with a little more in the rear. Size is comparable, fun factor is huge, and its a joy to drive.

If you were to upset the balance the suspension would utimately need to be completely re-engineered in order to make the car respond as before, and if this new sky/solstice platform is as fun to drive as ive heard, i dont think i would like to create more problems for myself to overcome by radically altering the weight distribution of such a small car.

Then again, power oversteer would be easier and by changing driving styles it would still be a fantastic performer. With all that power who could complain?
Old February 4th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Ahh...I see where you are coming from now. Yes, the balance would definitely be thrown off and it would be a completely different car. Whether or not that an is acceptable trade-off would be up to the driver and their style.

I think most of the engine swaps seem to aim at making cars more straight line monsters. Except in the case of the Fiero, where it seems to help bring the car to a better overall performance. As you said, it takes a lot more than the engine swap to bring the car's handling up to the level of the power.

What surprises me is that there isn't a turbo version available for the Sky like there is for the Solstice. At 170 something horsepower, it does seem a bit underpowered. Numbers near the mid 200s would probably make it a little more fun without sacrificing the handling aspects.

Great discussion. We'll have to go test drive these cars together someday!
Old February 4th   #15
jegster
jegster
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to jegster
The weight distribution is actually really good for the LS2 swap in the Solstice.

Quote:
the car is ballasted such that a 200-pound person sitting behind the wheel gives it perfect 50:50 lateral weight distribution. And with a full tank of gas, the weight split fore and aft is near that, at 52:48
Here's more info on the Solstice. http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...weight+balance
jegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th   #16
GS70350
GS70350
has no status.

good read thanks for the link yo.

weight dist. with the LS2 is now at 52/48 with a full tank of gas. Further reading shows they did their homework well and worked hard to place the engine where it would be as neutral as possible.

Car weighs 150lbs more than a stock solstice.

Maybe after they depreciate 90% ill buy one and have some fun with a motor swap.
Old February 5th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Give it a few years and these will be as sought after as some of the other cars which can have potent engine swaps, s13 240sx, 2nd gen rx7s, etc.
Old February 5th   #18
GS70350
GS70350
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
Give it a few years and these will be as sought after as some of the other cars which can have potent engine swaps, s13 240sx, 2nd gen rx7s, etc.

Hehe, meaning dirt cheap and easy to find? Ive done an SR20 swap on a s13 and my buddy came out of the deal for around 5G including the car. Not bad for a 13 second performer. My dad had an 88 RX7 convertible that id love to put a motor in. When my friend who bought it blows the rotary ill probably pick it up for around a grand or less. He keeps telling me about his oil light coming on before he adds oil, only a matter of time before its toast. Its CLEAN too. Had 59K miles when we sold it.

Cant wait till the day that Solstices are plentiful in that market. What a car!
Old February 5th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Of couse, the way things are going, buy the time they're cheap, the normal hp numbers in a family sedan will be over 300whp, lol.
Old February 8th   #20
Gorkoracing2
Gorkoracing2
has no status.
Edit

There was a silver one of these at nopi last year on display.

I heard on top gear something about this having an opel motor in it. Possibly turbocharged 4 cylinder.