Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old September 24th   #1
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

lost race tracks Madison county

today I was driving on Opp Rennolds road I saw the small air port. When the place was first built it Was Sunset Drag Strip. They were open several years The old airport on the Parkway had several drag meets............... New Hope Drag strip has been closed over 45 years..On university where Kangaroos fuel stop is had a Dirt round track many years ago................... Moores Mill circle track next to Krogers is gone .............................So any one want to add anything about Motor Cross // Tractor pulls/ Motor cycle hill climb where they were held at.................. A little known fact is Speedway bikes raced on ice at the Von B. civic center.. The promoter of that event Bob Koshatt also had a speedway/ motorcycle track at the far end of vermont road by the sewer plant..
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th   #2
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Remember the old dirt track at the Kangaroo station well, had lots of fun there. Lots of flathead Fords were blown up there, wouldn't be surprised to find an old ruined engine or two in the woods behind the station. One of my school classmates ran there at an early age on a borrowed license. The little Chevy V8's made the scene and pretty much ended things for the old flatheads. One could run in the sportsman class for very little money. I remember Hudsons, Fords, Chevys, Oldsmobiles running in that class. The modifieds were mostly mid-30's bodies. The dragstrip off Ardmore Hwy was quarter mile early on.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th   #3
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

it`s been so long i`m not so sure but i believe i saw the snake and the mongoose go at it at the old airport in about 1970 or so ...and there was tons of well used street racing spots around ...
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th   #4
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

Rideout rd in the early 70s, Pulaski pike later on, but I guess these weren't legal race tracks tho!!!!!!
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th   #5
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
Rideout rd in the early 70s, Pulaski pike later on, but I guess these weren't legal race tracks tho!!!!!!
Nor was Airport Road and South Parkway in the early days of the parkway, but we had some fun and thankfully no one got hurt. In those days the only thing on South Pkwy was Farley. Only thing on Airport Road (then a 2-lane) was a Highway Patrol station at the intersection of Airport and Whitesburg (also a 2-lane) but they didn't bother us much. Oh yeah, Whitesburg Drive-In theatre was across from the Hwy Patrol station, but that is another (sometimes good) story.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckM View Post
Nor was Airport Road and South Parkway in the early days of the parkway, but we had some fun and thankfully no one got hurt. In those days the only thing on South Pkwy was Farley. Only thing on Airport Road (then a 2-lane) was a Highway Patrol station at the intersection of Airport and Whitesburg (also a 2-lane) but they didn't bother us much.
This reminds me of a lot of the stories on some of the older threads of the site, like the old Ford Drag Club:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckM View Post
Oh yeah, Whitesburg Drive-In theatre was across from the Hwy Patrol station, but that is another (sometimes good) story.
Check out what we did last summer: We should this again in 2014.
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4221
Old September 30th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
There were 16 different spots in the early 2000s.