Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

A&W Car Show - Huntsville, AL
Calendar: Events Calendar
JayMack75  
April 26th to August 31st 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: A&W/Long John Silver's 2220 Sparkman Dr. (in front of WalMart on Sparkman Dr.)

Come join us on the 4th Saturday of each month from April until August for the A&W Car Show!
This has been a long running show in Huntsville and we're back again for another year!
Show Location: A&W/Long John Silver's in front of Wal Mart on Sparkman Drive (2220 Sparkman Drive N.W., Huntsville, AL)
Show Times: 6:00pm until 9:00pm every 4th Saturday of each month until August
Registration Fee: $10
There will be awards presented for top 10 and best of show. 50/50 drawing, food specials, music, and fun times!
Due to limited parking availability, we request that parking at the restaurant itself be reserved for participants only. Spectators and vehicles not entered into the show may park in the adjoining parking lot.

Old April 26th   #2
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

very displeased that i could not park in the buisness location .. i hope the A&W manager`s jeep cherokee was`nt the one blocking the entrance ..i drove too far to park at walmart .. i should have read the promro better ...
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th   #3
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
very displeased that i could not park in the buisness location .. i hope the A&W manager`s jeep cherokee was`nt the one blocking the entrance ..i drove too far to park at walmart .. i should have read the promro better ...
Know what you mean. I drove over, decided I couldn't park even near the event (which charges $) so I just drove thru dead downtown and back home. On the way home I got a message from my son in Old Hickory TN (Nashville) telling me what a hard time they had deciding which FREE cruise-in to attend. Like to support charity shows and people making a living putting on shows, but do have limits on spending for these. Apparently quite a few eateries and parts places in Nashville area feel it is worthwhile to do the non-competitive cruises. Makes me appreciate 1st Wed at Providence, Dreamland, Golden years, and support those businesses.

Last edited by ChuckM; April 27th at 10:33 AM.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th   #4
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
I'm sorry you gentlemen feel this way, but producing shows are not cheap, especially when its not being financed/funded by a company like most of those free cruise-ins are that you've spoken about. Further, with the amount of people showing, and with such a limited amount of space, we appreciate the spectators not parking with the show cars for several reasons:

1) Its common courtesy. If you're not entering the car show, you shouldn't park in the show. That's like going to a restaurant, asking for a table, and bringing your dinner from another establishment with you. Its just rude.
2) Judging. I can't tell you how many cars I've judged simply because it was sitting there only to realize it isn't even registered in the show (yet it would have won an award).
3) Adequate parking for spectators is readily available, and some spaces (specifically at A&W) on the back side of the restaurant are left available for non-show vehicles, and patrons of the establishment. If you're parking your "show-appearing" car in one of those spots, and someone comes to only park and eat, is that fair to them?
4) Allowing "everybody" to park with the show vehicles would quickly turn the car show into a mix of stock vehicles parking with show cars. Anyone who has ever driven their show vehicle to a walmart parking lot and parked it in a space and prayed for no door dings understands the importance of keeping the two separate.

With all that said, I hate that y'all have had a bad experience, but if you truly wanted to attend the show as a spectator, you'd have walked the few feet from the adjoining parking lot to the show to spectate. If you'd have wanted to enter the show, its only $10. I doubt that will make or break either one of you guys...especially considering the money you have tied up in your vehicles.
Old April 30th   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i should have read the promro better ...
Bingo
Old April 30th   #6
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
For all the coverage from the A&W show, click below.

Old May 1st   #7
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack75 View Post
I'm sorry you gentlemen feel this way, but producing shows are not cheap, especially when its not being financed/funded by a company like most of those free cruise-ins are that you've spoken about. Further, with the amount of people showing, and with such a limited amount of space, we appreciate the spectators not parking with the show cars for several reasons:

1) Its common courtesy. If you're not entering the car show, you shouldn't park in the show. That's like going to a restaurant, asking for a table, and bringing your dinner from another establishment with you. Its just rude.
2) Judging. I can't tell you how many cars I've judged simply because it was sitting there only to realize it isn't even registered in the show (yet it would have won an award).
3) Adequate parking for spectators is readily available, and some spaces (specifically at A&W) on the back side of the restaurant are left available for non-show vehicles, and patrons of the establishment. If you're parking your "show-appearing" car in one of those spots, and someone comes to only park and eat, is that fair to them?
4) Allowing "everybody" to park with the show vehicles would quickly turn the car show into a mix of stock vehicles parking with show cars. Anyone who has ever driven their show vehicle to a walmart parking lot and parked it in a space and prayed for no door dings understands the importance of keeping the two separate.

With all that said, I hate that y'all have had a bad experience, but if you truly wanted to attend the show as a spectator, you'd have walked the few feet from the adjoining parking lot to the show to spectate. If you'd have wanted to enter the show, its only $10. I doubt that will make or break either one of you guys...especially considering the money you have tied up in your vehicles.
My apology JayMack75, I was not trying to be critical, just stating the facts I saw. My original intent was to register, but I got there late and at the time there was a lot of traffic. I didn't see spectator parking I was comfortable leaving my car unattended in. I do agree with you completely about how parking should be relative to entrants and spectators. I will just have to get there earlier. I do spend about $1000 attending events each year locally and in adjacent states, and enjoy them all. Hope to see you Saturday.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th   #8
Rollnquad
Rollnquad
has no status.

Is event usually generated towards older vehicles.
Rollnquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th   #9
cruel1hemi
cruel1hemi
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to cruel1hemi
The show is geared toward all vehicles.....from antiques to brand new. Jay puts on a great show.

Member of the Board of Directors - HemiTruckClub.com
cruel1hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th   #10
Rollnquad
Rollnquad
has no status.

I've just heard mix reviews forwards it. I live in Moulton and it's a drive for me. I'm in a chair and I drive a show van. So wanted to be sure. Also I have to have room to get ramp out so I can get in and out of my van.
Rollnquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th   #11
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

it is a good event .. i just did`nt pay attention to the parking arrangement .. my bad .. they will be happy to accommodate you ...
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote